What could be more comforting than curling up in a cozy spot with your favorite blanket and book and while sipping on mug of piping hot lemon ginger water lightly sweetened with stevia or honey? Whether nursing a cold or just settling in for the evening, lem-gin is delicious and potentially full of health benefits. I know my aunt always made a pot of green beans with ground ginger from the spice rack and served up a bowl before road trips with twist and turns through the Cumberland valley to those of us who tended to get car sick. Not in the mood for something hot or not a fan of ginger? Keep a picture of lemon water on hand in your refrigerator and pour yourself a tall glass to refresh and hydrate twice daily. The goal, says Payal Banka a Registered Dietician and an MBA in Hospital & Healthcare management, is to consume the juice of half a lemon daily.
For Hot Lemon Ginger Water you’ll need:
- 1/2 inch knob of ginger sliced thinly or grated
- lemon juice and zest
- Stevia or honey to taste
Simply pour boiling water over the ginger, let steep for about 5 mins then add lemon juice, a bit of zest, and stevia to taste. Lovely to sip and inhale.
Health Benefits of the Lemon:
- Good for stomach Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn and parasites. The digestive qualities of lemon juice may also help relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice.
- Great for Skin Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can help cure problems related to skin. Rich in Vitamin C, it is known to rejuvenate skin from within with daily consumption.
- Fights Throat Infections Lemon aids in fighting problems related to throat infections and sore throats as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
- Good for Weight Loss One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
- Assists in Controlling High Blood Pressure Lemon water is high in potassium, known to aid high blood pressure, dizziness, and nausea.
- Assist in curing Respiratory Disorders Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
- Good for treating Rheumatism Lemon is also a diuretic and hence can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
- Reduces Fever Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
- Aromatherapy Effects help reduce mental stress. Just zesting a lemon releases the fragrant oils. Adding to hot water, icreases the effect as well.
Ginger also has health generating qualities like the ones listed below via Health Diaries:
- Morning Sickness A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective in treating morning sickness.
- Motion Sickness Remedy Ginger is an effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness.
- Reduces Pain and Inflammation One study showed that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller.
- Heartburn Relief Ginger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy. It is most often taken in the form of tea for this purpose.
- Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu. Many people also find ginger helpful in the case of stomach flus or food poisoning, which is not surprising given the positive effects ginger has upon the digestive tract.
- Migraine Relief Research has shown that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels.
- Menstrual Cramp Relief In Chinese medicine, ginger tea with brown sugar is used to treat menstrual cramps.
- Prevention of Diabetic Nephropathy A study done on diabetic rats found that those rats given ginger had a reduced incidence of diabetic nephropathy (kidney damage) – via Health Diaries