I’ve always loved lemon bars. One of my dad’s favorites, too. That tangy sweet lemony filling with the shortbread cookie bottom and just a thin doughy layer where the twain shall meet. Last time I made lemon bars, though, the center squares were perfect but the outer squares were thinner on filling and not as pleasing. I wondered what it would be like to 1 and 1/2 the filling recipe and found that the level of filling was perfect. I also added 1 tsp. of grated lemon peel to the crust and then sprinkled another teaspoon on the confectionary sugar topping. Meyer lemons, which I used here, are sweeter than their regular lemon counterparts. As such, I reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup. If you are using regular lemons, you may wish to increase the sugar to 2 1/4 cups. These lemon bars have a lovely thin crispy top that is lovely to crunch into. I would still like a filling that is a little more gooey. The crust is just right as I prefer granulated sugar over confectionary sugar. Next time I might try the filling of this recipe from Baked Bree found on Pinterest. What is your favorite lemon bar recipe? Please do share!
Lemon bars are perfect chilled with a morning cup of coffee. Enjoy!
- 1 cup salted butter, barely softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Meyer lemons, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar until crumbly. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven, or until firm and golden.
- While crust is baking, juice lemons. In a separate bowl, blend together 2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven until center of filling is level.
- Place on a cooling rack and sift powdered sugar over top. Sprinkle on 1 tsp. grated lemon peel. The bars will firm up as they cool. When cool, cut into 2″ squares and serve or