I have been dying to make this lemony olive oil chocolate chunk banana bread, but had to wait a good week for my bananas to ripen. Finally, the bananas could practically mash themselves and I set to work.
In case you are interested, the original recipe calls for all bittersweet chocolate. I chose to use half and half dark so the sweetness and flavor of the chocolate comes through. I also added more zest to the cake and glaze. As you can see, I used a buttered and floured bundt pan but you could use two medium greased and floured loaf pans as well.
Moving on to the glaze, I thought the brown sugar a little grainy so decided to add 1 Tbs. of butter and caramelize the brown sugar. I got a little carried away though, and boiled mine too long which resulted in a chewy candy like shell. You can also use all confectioners sugar for a more traditional icing. I can tell you though, lemon and caramel are to die for together and I will definitely be exploring this combination in the future!
But for now, here is a hearty, healthy banana bread with a lemon twist. Wrap a large slice up in brown waxed paper, tuck it in your knapsack, and enjoy as a snack after a bike ride or stroll through the park. Even better on day two.
Lemony Olive Oil Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread
For the batter:
- 1 cup / 4.5 oz/ 125 g all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 5 oz / 140 g whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup / 4.5 oz / 125 g dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 58 g coarsely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 58 g coarsely chopped milk chocolate
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups / 12 oz / 340 g mashed, VERY ripe bananas (~3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml plain, whole milk or Greek yogurt
- Zest of 1 lemon minus 1 tsp.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup / 3 oz / 85 g sifted dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup / 2 oz / 55 g confectioners’ sugar
- 5 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. reserved lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. butter
Preheat the oven to 350° F, and place rack in center.
Sift flours and baking soda into large bow. Whisk in sugar and salt. Add the chocolate pieces and combine well.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together olive oil, eggs, mashed banana, yogurt, zest, and vanilla. Pour banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until light golden brown, about 40-45 minutes. Test with toothpick and remove as soon as nearly done to keep bread moist.
Transfer pan to wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes then turn loaf out. Cool completely.
When cake is cool, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, whisk together the sugars and the lemon juice until smooth. Transfer to small saucepan and add 1 Tbs. butter. Cook and stir for one to two minutes over medium-high heat, just enough to melt brown sugar and reach a boil. Stir for 30 more seconds. Take care not to boil too long as sauce will harden like candy. Remove from heat and cool just until glaze has thickened enough to drizzle over top of bread.
Adapted from Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can’t Wait to Make, Hyperion, October, 2011